Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Touch of Dutch

I have discovered a nice blog by an American expat a while ago: A Touch of Dutch.

She gives so many details about the life in Netherlands, and tries to explain many things about dutch culture, life style, language, history etc.

I wish she started blogging before I arrived in country and I would thereby read and learn many dutchy stuff before coming.

Her last post was about shoarmas in Netherland (shawarma); or, with the turkish name: döner kebab.

Shawarma is the arabic name, but I always suspected it to be of turkish origin. I have followed the link in her blog post to see definitions of the word: and there it is! It is originating from turkish word çevirme (or chawerma in english spelling), which means turning. It is a very turkish word.

I do not know why, but it made me happy to learn that it was of turkish origin :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this here! I appreciate you stopping by to share your comment on my blog too!

I too wish there had been more information in one place on the internet before I came here for my job. In the blog, I want to show appreciation for all aspects of living in Holland. Especially culture. It inspired while in Dutch language school to finally give this blog a try because I learned so much about not only the language and the Dutch, but also so much about the different cultures living in the Netherlands. Different people from around the world. And we all shared in common these difficulties of adjusting to life here. Whether it was language or just the daily things. I really wanted to do something to help.

Eventually, after I've tackled the basic information about Holland, I'd really like to highlight these different cultures. I have a lot of plans for the blog and really enjoy working with it.

Shoarma is so delicious! I will add on the comments for the blog entry your findings of shoarma [çevirme] being of Turkish origin :)

Do you mind if I add you to my list of expat blogs? I see you have a lot of great information to share, and I would love to share your blog on my site with the other expat blog links.

Many, many thanks!
Isabella

tunahan said...

Isabella, of course you are welcome to share my "diary" in your website. I would be more than pleased!

You are very right in that it is very easy to come in contact with people with very different cultures here (especially in Amsterdam). It is very nice since you get to know other cultures than dutch culture without much effort, without traveling etc :). (For me it is India, Iran, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Russia at the moment)

I am looking forward for entries in your weblog about your observations on other cultures you come across in Netherlands!

Related Posts with Thumbnails